In the UK, the tax year runs from 6 April to 5 April (in the following year) and here are some important dates:
Before midnight on 31 January:
- File your tax return online. There will be a penalty if you miss this dateline even if you have no tax to pay or have already paid the tax that you owe.
- Pay any tax you owe for the previous tax year.
- Pay your first payment on account i.e advance payments towards your tax bill if you are self-employed.
- Pay your balancing payment if you still have tax to pay after you’ve made your payments on account.
- Amend the past tax return when you realise that an entry is incorrect.